Analysis of the facilities
An engineering study begins with a detailed analysis of the company's facilities.
First, we start with an initial survey of the type of buildings which includes the construction characteristics, materials, height, and the type of environment within each one of them. For example, if they contain flammable or explosive atmosphere or if they are just warehouses or offices.
Then, measurements are made of the electrical continuity of metallic masses of the whole plant, such as industrial buildings, fuel tanks, communication antennas, etc.
Once we have all this data, we study the area where the facility is located, its geographical location, and its elevation above sea level.
We then study the plantenvironment, checking, for example whether there are mountains, trees, or hills nearby.
When we finish this task we get the details of:
Analysis of the facilities:
- 1The characteristics of the buildings
- 2The values obtained from the measurements
- 3The type of buildings constructed
Application of the standard
With the values, characteristics, and typologies of the buildings obtained from the analysis of the facilities, we will determine the probability of lightning impacts that the plant may have in one year.
For this we have to perform the mathematical calculations that the IEC 62305 Standard suggests.
We also must apply NFC17-102; BS 6651/1999-2000 (Lightning Protection), IEC 62305 -1: 2010, DIN VDE 185 and the American Standard NFPA 780.
Once we have all this analysis and the calculations made, we proceed with our engineering study which includes the following:
- 1Calculation and design of the grounding not greater than 5 ohms for the ground in general.
- 2Calculation and design of primary protections, coverage areas, and grounding.
- 3Design of the general and unique grounding system.
- 4The selection of protective devices for Low Voltage (LV) must be suitable to withstand system short-circuit currents, and be sufficiently fast enough to react during the lightning discharge pulse in a full and direct manner.
- 5Submission of a report of the type of assembly for each and every application, complete specifications of the materials to be used, conductors, terminals, fuses, javelins, welds, etc.
- 6The technical report will indicate the installations which, in our opinion, while not compromising the proper functioning of the system, may put human life at risk in sectors near them (e.g. grounding of the perimeter fence).
- 7We will attach the technical specifications of the protection and the laboratory test of the lightning conductor(s) to be used to the report.
Benefits of an engineering study
Engineering studies for all industries
Gas, oil, food, automotive, petrochemical, etc.
Why should you hire us (PROINEX) for such a study?
Because we are a well-known and experienced company for this type of analysis throughout Latin America.
We have countless number of this type of studies as a result of working with important companies.
What is the average time for such study?
It varies from 15 to 45 days, depending on the type of facility.